Oscar turned 4 months old on Thanksgiving day and it was as if a switch was flipped, he has all sorts of new skills like grabbing for things, hand mouth coordination, bearing weight on his legs, and lots of babbling and other wonderful sounds. He actually celebrated his 4 month birthday by rolling over, TWICE. Though I haven't seen it again since...
He had his 4 month check up last week and it was a doozey. It turns out that he has eczema all over, most likely due to a cow milk allergy he's getting from my breast milk. It's pretty common for infants to have this allergy and they generally grow out of it between 6-9 months. Here we were thinking he had been fussy and not sleeping anymore because, well, he's a baby and we noticed the eczema but he seemed to only scratch when he was tired. I can't even express how terrible I felt when I realized that this whole time he was so uncomfortable and itchy all over, he must have been so miserable! I even had myself a little cry at Target while finding him an oatmeal bath to soak in. So now I'm dairy-free and Oscar has special ointment for the next few weeks. Since we found out about this Oscar has been MUCH happier and interested in playing and sleeping much better, and so have we!
Another thing the doctor found at the appointment was that he has asymmetrical thigh folds, something that could mean that one of his hips wasn't forming correctly - easy to fix if it's caught early but scary nonetheless. So we ended up at Children's Hospital a few days later for an ultrasound. Everything is normal though and we have nothing to worry about, phew. Here's a picture of O getting the ultrasound, he's in a TV coma thanks to a television on the wall playing Nickelodeon.

Oscar looks like a very cooperative patient. I was so worried Charlotte would have asymmetrical thigh folds!
ReplyDelete