Mar 21, 2011

International Baby, pt. 2


Last week we traveled to Vancouver, BC to bring some of Nora back to one of her favorite places. It was so wonderful to revisit many of the places we had been to with her, many of them were the same as they were over seven years ago when I had been there last. We had the amazing pleasure of visiting Saturna Island and staying with Nora's friend's aunt for the weekend. The island is off the coast of the mainland and is one of the more remote. This is a place that Nora had been to a few times and spoke of often as one of her favorite places - and indeed it is beautiful. It was a perfect moment in the middle of our trip to take a brief respite and enjoy the company of new friends and each other.

The trip to the island was especially special for me because during the time we were there was when I began to feel the first real and definite kicks from our little babe. Historically this is known as 'quickening' and was believed to be the moment that the fetus is considered to be alive, an awakening of sorts. I can't help but think that there is a connection with Nora and these movements, and I love to think that there may be some of her in our boy. After Nora died I was hit with an intense wave of regret that she would never meet any of her nieces and nephews and that they would never know her.

We left behind some of Nora's ashes in various places on the island. Though it is a small consolation, it makes me happy that at least one of our children was present for this and that we got to experience it together. A small comfort but a comfort still.

1 comment: